Re: [LUG] Linux - and security Part 2

On 08/11/12 08:35, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Meanwhile, while on this subject, does anyone have any thoughts on
> encrypting the home folder?

After some pondering a year or two back I opted for "truecrypt".

I use it for whole disk encryption (although not on all machines yet,
not braved installing it under my LVM on mirrored disks config yet). The
next machine will have simpler disk config and truecrypt from the start.

Just /home is of limited value as important stuff ends up in /etc and
things like email, and databases may be under /var (or /tmp if it is
actually permanent - mostly it dies with reboot but distros vary).

Indeed one of the criticisms I have of Linux/Unix (and Windows, and
MacOS, and quite a few OSes) is that they spew user data into too many
places. A clear distinction between fixed system code, and user data,
and possibly user requested code, is I think desirable in an OS, but
probably too late to change the file system layout for regular distros.
I note Android has made some progress here, but it doesn't look that
different in practice not least they weren't expecting lots of devices
to be there permanently or interested in multiple partitions.