Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 04/11/2012 14:41, Simon Avery wrote:
On 3 November 2012 11:46, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    a) Turn off the router's DHCP server and assign all machines
    static internal IPs.  Will cause problems for anyone who visits
    you should they want access to the internet e.g. on a smartphone
    etc.  Come to think of it I don't think you can give any
    smartphone or a(ndroid) tablet a static IP at all, so if you plan
    on using one on WiFi for these this is not the option for you.
     (I'm open to being corrected on the latter point).

Buried in Wireless/Network settings on Android phones (Or at least HTCs), there are advanced settings that let you specify a static ip, gateway, netmask etc. :)
Si
Thank you to both Simons (Avery and Waters) for the correction :) One thing I can confirm - there's no way to do it on a WP7 phone.. also doesn't appear to be any way to do it on my Acer Iconia Tab A500 running Icecream Sandwich either. TBH I'm not sure it's a great idea to used fixed IPs anyway on mobile equipment which may connect to different networks depending where you are. All I would need to do is visit any friend with a Virginmedia Superhub with the same default network settings as mine - or any Netgear router with the same defaults for that matter, bump against one of their devices already using an IP I've fixed and I'd be stuffed.

Julian