Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 3 November 2012 11:46, Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
a) Turn off the router's DHCP server and assign all machines static internal IPs.  Will cause problems for anyone who visits you should they want access to the internet e.g. on a smartphone etc.  Come to think of it I don't think you can give any smartphone or a(ndroid) tablet a static IP at all, so if you plan on using one on WiFi for these this is not the option for you.  (I'm open to being corrected on the latter point).

Buried in Wireless/Network settings on Android phones (Or at least HTCs), there are advanced settings that let you specify a static ip, gateway, netmask etc. :)

Si