Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On 03/11/12 18:13, bad apple wrote:

<snip>

Well, a lot to take in and digest. Thanks, bad apple, and others, for
all the help so far.

Some details about my set up :-

I have a desk top which is soon to be upgraded. It is linked by cable to
a router. My wife and daughter each use their own laptop, (we all run
Linux only) using a wifi link to the router. It is using WPA2-PSK for
security. My daughter is getting married soon and will be moving out so
I don't know yet what her new set up will be then. That will leave just
the two of us to worry about.

I do not have a static set up for the router. I have checked my ISP's
website  and they will provide it but it will cost 'extra'. I have not
yet checked the cost, will ring them tomorrow.

I will look into SSH but I have a feeling I have to arrange for it to be
set up. Or perhaps I am not understanding it properly. Anyway I will
study the relevant replies carefully and see how I get on.

This thread has proved to be really useful to me and hopefully to others.

Thanks again,

Neil