Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Simon Avery wrote:
> Anyone else remember Macafee being caught
> paying virus writers to give them the source a few days ahead of new viruses
> being released into the wild?

This is simply not true.

(In fact, I've worked in IT security long enough to at least have
known it if such a rumour were spreading. I had never heard of it.)

As for running AV on Linux: as others have said, you're unlikely to
really need it. But beware that most vulnerabilities used in
drive-by-download attacks are platform independent; it'd be easy for
the bad guys to add. So at least make sure your browser and it's
plugins are up-to date. Except for Java, that shouldn't be running in
a browser at all. (If you really need it, use a secondary browser for
it. Or enable it only when you're going to need it.)

Martijn.