Re: [LUG] Ark project - test equipment and tools needed

On 18/10/12 11:06, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 18/10/12 10:56, paul sutton wrote:

>>> As far as I'm aware the builders are dealing with installing CAT5
>>> sockets etc, all we need to do is put the computers and server etc in.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Just a thought as for cable perhaps for making up short lengths the
>> enginners could leave us any off cuts or left over cable,   we can get
>> ends easy enough it would be a great opportunity to teach people how to
>> make up cables, etc
>>

> Might be an option.
>
>> Before someone shouts out I know how,   there are several younger
>> members (not that I am impying they don't know how to do this) and
>> myself and maybe one or two others who may want some practice,
>>

> I know how to do it but I'm not very good at it :-P
>
>> end of the day any opportunity to teach / learn should be taken.  I am
>> sure that given the shortage of IT techie people in this country they
>> would be happy to help as that builds up skills for the future.
>
> Yeah.  I was reading an article about Redhat certification last night,
> I was thinking that might be an interesting thing to do as a group.
> Okay maybe not Redhat specific certficiation but maybe something based
> on LPIC?
>
> I know a fair few people on the list will probably know what the LPIC
> covers but I figure actually being able to do the exam and getting the
> certification might be a good option for some folks.

That would be really helpful,   and getting an exam centre in the area
would be a major bonus,  there is a real need for people with various
certifications, however employers here won't pay the price as in
salaries to match,  but yeah that aside ,  if any teaching can be done
to fit in with the LPI
stuff that would be good.

If anything skills = social mobility

As far as I am aware LPI requires you to do stuff in the REAL WORLD
rather than simply simulated or reading then exams. The OU do a Linux
course which allows you to take  Linux +  at the end. So something like
that where people on the same course can get together and help / talk to
each other would be excellent, then the ability to go and take Linux+
exam at the end would be good too.

The possibilities are endless.  And things could attract extra funding
for equipment,  too many places simply offering Windows based courses,
even though the course Raymond mentioned in Totnes on free software is a
step in the right direction.

Being this is happening in Totnes, which is good at "alternative" ways
of thinking ( I mean that in a positive sense) I think the people there
are both used to that and Open minded enough to accept it,  so Totnes is
the way to go I think.

Of course Totnes has close links with Charles Babbage so it seems rather
apt totnes could take the lead.

We have a few people on the list with LPI too,  so again the expertise
here could be useful.

Paul