Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 25/09/12 17:06, Peter M Le Mare wrote:

> This is only too true but being one who finds it difficult to follow
> the instructions of what to put in a terminal when something actually
> goes wrong it has it's problems - and unless you know some one who
> really understands Linux, close by to help it is very difficult.
> I have time and time again tried to install a driver for my Brother
> DCP-315CN and keep failing so I can still only use it as a photocopier.
> Now I have a new problem which seems to have no answer. My wife (Thai)
> brought back a Buffalo HDD HD-PNTU3 with lots of music and small
> videos on it. The box and details on line say it can be used with
> windows or mac with some software called drive navigator. Can anyone
> out there tell me if it can be used or accessed by Linux (Ubunto 12.10
> with Gnome desktop)??

Well, at the risk of providing terminal instructions:

Plug it in first - it's going to be FAT32 presumably and do:

dmesg | grep Attached

It will  be the last device listed, probably something like:

[    1.397989] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Your device will probably be different, perhaps sdb, sdc, sdd, etc,
depending on how many disks you have on your system.

Prepare a mount point:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/buffalo

Mount the disk:

sudo mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt/buffalo

X here is the letter you got from the dmesg above - something like sdb1,
sdc1, depending on your system.

Providing there are no errors:

nautilus /mnt/buffalo &

To be honest, as someone else said, it should really just be automounted
by gnome and be readily available with no extra work.

If in doubt, "sudo apt-get install gparted && sudo gparted" to have an
easy graphical look at  your attached disks, or "sudo fdisk -l" for the
more technically inclined.

Regards