Re: [LUG] Sad encounter - Buffalo HDD

On 25/09/12 17:49, bad apple wrote:
On 25/09/12 17:06, Peter M Le Mare wrote:
This is only too true but being one who finds it difficult to follow
the instructions of what to put in a terminal when something actually
goes wrong it has it's problems - and unless you know some one who
really understands Linux, close by to help it is very difficult.
I have time and time again tried to install a driver for my Brother
DCP-315CN and keep failing so I can still only use it as a photocopier.
Now I have a new problem which seems to have no answer. My wife (Thai)
brought back a Buffalo HDD HD-PNTU3 with lots of music and small
videos on it. The box and details on line say it can be used with
windows or mac with some software called drive navigator. Can anyone
out there tell me if it can be used or accessed by Linux (Ubunto 12.10
with Gnome desktop)??

Well, at the risk of providing terminal instructions:

Plug it in first - it's going to be FAT32 presumably and do:

dmesg | grep Attached

It will  be the last device listed, probably something like:

[    1.397989] sd 4:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Your device will probably be different, perhaps sdb, sdc, sdd, etc,
depending on how many disks you have on your system.

Prepare a mount point:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/buffalo

Mount the disk:

sudo mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt/buffalo

X here is the letter you got from the dmesg above - something like sdb1,
sdc1, depending on your system.

Providing there are no errors:

nautilus /mnt/buffalo &

To be honest, as someone else said, it should really just be automounted
by gnome and be readily available with no extra work.

If in doubt, "sudo apt-get install gparted && sudo gparted" to have an
easy graphical look at  your attached disks, or "sudo fdisk -l" for the
more technically inclined.

Regards

I will try to do this. I do follow as closely as I can instructions for the terminal but it usual say it does not understand and recognise the instruction. This is what happened with the driver for the brother printer it just wouldn't install it (I did find the right driver). Anyway the HDD says unable mount and filsystem unknown "ex fat"

--
Life, love, peace and freedom
Pete (Le M)