Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 25/09/12 17:21, Simon Avery wrote:
Now I have a new problem which seems to have no answer. My wife (Thai) brought back a Buffalo HDD HD-PNTU3 with lots of music and small videos on it. The box and details on line say it can be used with windows or mac with some software called drive navigator. Can anyone out there tell me if it can be used or accessed by Linux (Ubunto 12.10 with Gnome desktop)??

Um... what happens when you try?

IME, most portable drives "just work" in linux and windows. Something in Gnome might automatically handle it and open a file manager window, and if not it should be mountable as a normal drive - watch syslog when you plug it in to find the mount point, or error message.

When I plug it in it says "unable to mount HDD-PNTU3" then file :unknown filesystem type "ex fat"

It may have some sort of automatic lock or something and under a folder that only works with windows. However I have managed to download this "drive navigation" for my small eeepc with windows 7 and can read it. So I extracted just one mp4 video and put it on a memory card. This was then able to be read by both my notebook with W7 and my main computer with Linux. There is a lot of Gb on it and I obviously don't have room for the files on my note book.
I then tried the memory stick on my wife's (thai) small dvd player but it would not recognise it although it says it will read mp4's. She also has a new digital TV with a USB input and again it would not read it: it does say it is an mp4 but still won't play it. If I could get my linux to read it I might be able to cut lots of DVD's and she could then play them.

--
Life, love, peace and freedom
Pete (Le M)