[LUG] Sad encounter

Yesterday we went to RHS Rosemoor near Torrington for the Food Fair.
Afterwards we were in the shop and I was looking at a photo book. An
elderly man near me commented on being interested in computers himself
and that he used Photo Shop to work on his photos.

So of course I told him that I did not use Windows but a free OS called
Linux. He had never heard of it. When I explained a little he seemed
rather bemused. He was convinced that if you wanted to use a computer
you *had* to use Windows and that nothing else worked! (I wonder where
he got that idea.)

So I explained a bit more and he said 'but you can't use the internet of
course or send emails'. More explanations. Eventually he went on his way
looking very surprised.

This encounter brought home to me just how far we are still from getting
people to understand that there is a choice out there. There is still a
long way to go to get that message out there.

Sadly

Neil