Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 24/09/12 21:38, bad apple wrote:
On 24/09/12 21:26, paul sutton wrote:
Lubuntu works great for me,  however i guess debian + lxde is pretty
much the same sort of thing, or as rob suggested mint.

Ah, just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with ubuntu - it's just
unity that is so awful. Lubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu, or just replacing
vanilla ubuntu's DE, will almost completely restore it to a fully
working operating system. I have officially switched to recommending
Mint to the curious now, rather than ubuntu which was my default
recommendation for many, many years.

As for switching, the bigger clients have a lot of legacy systems,
compliance issues and other assorted baggage to sort out first but quite
a few of my smaller clients, mostly the 1 or 2 man operations on a very
tight budget are starting to switch already, usually after a P2V
conversion of their old systems and then it's all VMs on linux. Happy
days. The problem is of course that half of them are designers/arty
types and so they invariably need AutoCAD, Photoshop and/or Quark, those
well established ruiners of full open source adoption. Dear god I wish
that Adobe would just port CS to linux and be done with it... I'll not
be holding my breath though.

Oh I know what you mean! :-)

Where I'm working at the moment they use a mixture of applications for CAD stuff, some use AutoCAD, others use a package called EdgeCAM and some of the engineers use some Siemens application which I understand is also available natively for Linux as well as Windows.

How I understand it, Linux is making inroads at the company but more in the datacentres than on the local desktops. Still a couple of guys at work have an interest in Linux and use it (not entirely sure how much, I think it might be something that play with occasionally in their spare time.

Rob