Re: [LUG] Sad encounter

On 24/09/12 19:52, Rob Beard wrote:
> I have a positive story.  A couple of years ago I tried to get a
> friend to use Ubuntu on his desktop dual booting with Vista.  He was
> one of those "I don't like change" types and wanted to stick with
> Vista.  He ended up buying a laptop and leaving the desktop with his
> parents when he moved out (about 2 years ago now I think).
>
> Anyway, I had a message from his brother the other day asking me how
> to get an Epson printer working on Ubuntu.  It turns out they're now
> running Ubuntu on their PC, I didn't have any involvement on the
> install so I can only assume another friend or family member suggested
> it to them. :-)
>
> Recently I've managed to convert my brother-in-law onto Linux Mint as
> his laptop (running Vista) caught a virus.  As far as I know he's
> happy with Mint as it does what he wants (mainly Internet and Facebook
> games).  I'm going to be showing Mint to my sister-in-law tomorrow too
> as she too has a laptop which is running like a dog.  I figured leave
> her with a USB stick or DVD with it on so she can have a play and see
> how much better it is than Windows :-)
>
> Hopefully with the launch of the Raspberry Pi it's going to get more
> people interested in Linux.  I've seen so many comments and heard so
> many stories of people picking up Raspberry Pi's and to learn Perl and
> Linux, despite being able to do that on a standard PC, so maybe those
> people playing with a Pi will maybe look at Linux on a desktop or
> laptop PC too (maybe someone should release a version of Debian
> renamed to Raspbian for x86 :-D).
>
> Rob

Well, as both Windows 8 and Mac OS 10.8 are doing such a good job of
alienating and annoying their paying customers, it's entirely possible
that if nothing else, pure desperation might drive a few more users to
linux, even if reluctantly. I have multiple clients for whom
win8/mac10.8 is proving to be the final straw (nothing wrong with Server
2012 to be fair, but it's hardly a desktop OS for the casual user).

Hopefully any of these hypothetical brave users jumping ship won't make
the usual mistake and try vanilla ubuntu first though, it's almost as
bad. I must say, I didn't really see the current state of affairs
coming: the three main current operating system choices (win8, mac 10.8,
ubuntu w/unity) are all absolute car crashes. A time traveller from five
years ago would have a heart attack if they were sat down in front of
these dogs and seriously told it's what passes for the state of the art
in 2012... Strange times.

Regards