Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile data charges

On 16/09/12 14:04, Julian Hall wrote:

> When I'm in the house I turn off the data option for my phone.  That
> forces it to use the WiFi network.  Previously I've not noticed my phone
> fail to connect to my WiFi and start eating my data allowance too.

It is doing it when it powers down the screen or powers it up. When I
wake the phone it shows GPRS is active and quickly reconnects to WIFI.
Not using much but that it is using any is a minor irritation.

Quite a lot of people I've asked only enable network data when needed,
but that is pretty irritating and definitely not the optimal experience.
I will switch to the GiffGaff Â10 a month deal to avoid that if needs be.

> Finally, do you have your email on the phone set to periodically check
> the server?  Set it to Never unless you're going to be within the WiFi
> network for a long time.

I fear that is kind of the point of a smart phone though - it tells me
when there is stuff in email, or facebook, or information about where I
am and what is near me.

I may have lived without it for a long time, but now I have it I'm sold,
and I want to make it earn its keep. May have been a cheap phone but it
was still 10 times the price of my previous phone.