Re: [LUG] OT: Mobile data charges

 On 16/09/2012 12:26, Simon Waters wrote:
Have joined the new century with a new mobile phone as the old one was
failing.

However looking at mobile data charges, somewhat surprised.

Most of the time it will be in WIFI coverage of hotspots I manage.

Have bought a generous allowance on Pay as You Go for the month whilst I
figure out how much I use and what to do, but it seems to have eaten
0.5MB of data today sitting here on the same desk as the WIFI router
whilst I was away sleeping, jogging etc.
Hi Simon,

When I'm in the house I turn off the data option for my phone. That forces it to use the WiFi network. Previously I've not noticed my phone fail to connect to my WiFi and start eating my data allowance too. Also be aware of what apps you have installed.. some have a nasty habit of trickling data home to Mum.. advert driven ones will eat data too. Finally, do you have your email on the phone set to periodically check the server? Set it to Never unless you're going to be within the WiFi network for a long time. I think the key thing though as I said at the top is to turn off the phone's data facility.. as that will force it to use WiFi it's a good indicator of when something is wrong. The downside is you need to turn it back on for Media Messages, and then remember to turn it back off :)

Kind regards,

Julian