[LUG] OT: Mobile data charges

Have joined the new century with a new mobile phone as the old one was
failing.

However looking at mobile data charges, somewhat surprised.

Most of the time it will be in WIFI coverage of hotspots I manage.

Have bought a generous allowance on Pay as You Go for the month whilst I
figure out how much I use and what to do, but it seems to have eaten
0.5MB of data today sitting here on the same desk as the WIFI router
whilst I was away sleeping, jogging etc.

Anyway seems to me I mainly want data on the phone, since Skype and
similar are a lot cheaper than paying for the phone calls unless the
contract bundles them (historically I've used PAYG and don't spend a
huge amount on the calls anyway). I typically don't want much, but my
idea of much is going to be more than 250MB a month.

Somewhat limited here as only Orange have good reception in the village.
Orange were offer 750MB per month for 7.50 but the best I can find now
is 250MB a month for 7.50 from Orange. Vodaphone doesn't seem to work at
all, and O2 is unreliable but I lived with it before so might be the answer.

GiffGaff offer the best deal price wise, but being on the O2 network the
coverage here is probably too hit and miss (in that I'd like some phone
calls and text to arrive when at home with some reliability. On the
other hand it might be simpler to go that way, and just accept the lousy
signal when at home.