Re: [LUG] Oh no, not ISP recommendations again!

On 14/09/12 11:56, steve wrote:

> I have no complaints with Virgin, been with them for almost 9 years
> (formerly Telewest) and just had by broadband speeds upgraded per
> following speedtest.net result

Should clarify we were paying for a business line. And it was largely
the support that sucked, and the administration side wasn't great.

They broke stuff by fiddling mostly.

Their implementation of censorship broke our access to Wikipedia and
Imgur at various times.

They attempted to resolve a complaint about a website by filtering port
80 inbound to our servers rather than using the out of hours contact
details they held, and didn't tell us, so the first I knew was when the
websites were down but the web servers were working.

When they didn't fiddle the service worked pretty well. And I agree the
retail service is probably fine, although I think they caved too easily
on the censorship issue, and as a result are now having to cave into
every copyright owner with enough lawyers.

That said the bandwidth is good, I guess you can always use a VPN to
tunnel around the censorship if and when you hit it.