Re: [LUG] Linux as a gaming platform? reprise - bbc news

Sorry for the top post here

I have added this to the thread as it seems directly related to the thread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

to quote one part

"

Mr Newell, who worked for Microsoft for 13 years on Windows, said his
company had embraced the open-source software Linux as a "hedging
strategy" designed to offset some of the damage Windows 8 was likely to do.

"We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to
run on Linux as well," said Mr Newell."

Raises a few other issues too

Paul

On 23/07/12 14:21, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I play games, it's the main reason why I use windows 7 today.
> For years I've wanted Linux to be my OS of choice but it was this
> whole "games are made for DirectX" issue that has kept me using
> Microsoft Windows.
> If game developers used an open platform for writing their games
> on I'm pretty sure most gamers would use the open platform.
> Most of my gaming friends for instance all use the same hacked copy of
> Windows 7 to play their games on including myself and I'd think people
> would prefer to have free software on their PC as opposed to hacked-ware.
> I don't know why more work isn't being done to create a better
> platform for games within the community. If anything... I blame Cadega!!!
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Daniel
>
> On 20 July 2012 18:50, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/20/2012 04:01 PM, paul sutton wrote:
>
>         All the more reason to make sure we keep plugging the
>         alternatives and
>         the advantages of freedom,  the fact steam is being ported to
>         linux
>         (while controversial )  is a good thing for gamers and
>         something to tell
>         people if they mention games,   First instance its being ported to
>         ubuntu,  but hopefully then to other distros.
>
>         Paul
>

>     Indeed. A am not a gamer (mainly due to time and other things of
>     greater interest), but what do gamers think....
>
>     Could linux be a good platform for games? (using less system
>     resources?, leaving a greater proportion for the game itself?).
>
>     Are proprietary games on linux good for floss? good for linux? I
>     am not certain the answer is straight forward. What do you think?
>
>     Cheers roly :-)
>
>     --
>

> --
> Custom built computers & repairs