Re: [LUG] Linux as a gaming platform? WAS :- Microsoft in first loss to date

On 23/07/12 14:21, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I play games, it's the main reason why I use windows 7 today.
> For years I've wanted Linux to be my OS of choice but it was this
> whole "games are made for DirectX" issue that has kept me using
> Microsoft Windows.
> If game developers used an open platform for writing their games
> on I'm pretty sure most gamers would use the open platform.
> Most of my gaming friends for instance all use the same hacked copy of
> Windows 7 to play their games on including myself and I'd think people
> would prefer to have free software on their PC as opposed to hacked-ware.
> I don't know why more work isn't being done to create a better
> platform for games within the community. If anything... I blame Cadega!!!
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Daniel

Ok perhaps one of the reasons is highlighted here
http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/23/minecraft-makers-sued-over-software-patent-infringement/

software patents,  once again someone comes up with a way to do
something,  and patents it,  and they anyone doing the same is sued,
however  as we have discussed before I am sure people have said the
patent is written in such a way it can be interpreted in many ways.

if this is the definition of the patent

Or, in patent-speak
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,857,067.PN.&OS=PN/6,857,067&RS=PN/6,857,067>,
Minecraft allegedly uses, "A system and method for preventing
unauthorised access to electronic data [covering] executable computer
code on an electronic device to prevent unauthorised access to
electronic data stored on the electronic device" without Uniloc's
permission.

Read more:
http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/23/minecraft-makers-sued-over-software-patent-infringement/#ixzz21SKh5vmA

it could mean any number of things.  and any number of methods.  I am
not an expert but perhaps others can comment.

so this is one barrier

2, could be user base,  sure Linux as a server platform is popular (very
popular) but as a dekstop it is less than popular,

3. Another explanation is we are in a time of recession,  I would love
to go out and buy something like Oil rush, or the humble bundle but
simply don't have the spare cash and if I did there would be other
things to spend money on first.

While steam is great,  unless people have the money then its not going
to make any difference.  Also games for Linux MUST be the same price as
for windows or mac,  otherwise as none of us are stupid to pay over the
odds,   we simply will see it as a way to cash in and boycott
accordingly this will make it look as if there is lack of interest,
when in fact there is lack of desire to being ripped off.

Paul

> On 20 July 2012 18:50, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/20/2012 04:01 PM, paul sutton wrote:
>
>         All the more reason to make sure we keep plugging the
>         alternatives and
>         the advantages of freedom,  the fact steam is being ported to
>         linux
>         (while controversial )  is a good thing for gamers and
>         something to tell
>         people if they mention games,   First instance its being ported to
>         ubuntu,  but hopefully then to other distros.
>
>         Paul
>

>     Indeed. A am not a gamer (mainly due to time and other things of
>     greater interest), but what do gamers think....
>
>     Could linux be a good platform for games? (using less system
>     resources?, leaving a greater proportion for the game itself?).
>
>     Are proprietary games on linux good for floss? good for linux? I
>     am not certain the answer is straight forward. What do you think?
>
>     Cheers roly :-)
>
>     --
>

> --
> Custom built computers & repairs