[LUG] Replace my distro

Recently my daughter had her birthday and I bought her a laptop.
Previously she was sharing my desktop computer as a separate user. Once
all her files etc are copied over I will be free to install a new distro
(and have my computer to myself).

So which one? I am testing several in VBox, including so far Mint 13 KDE
and Mint 13 Xfce. I am finding two problems which others have
encountered too.

Libre Office has problems with the spell check for English UK. I have
worked out how to sort that one. Has anyone on the list found this?

I do use kgpg to encrypt some of my files before saving them to my
website. I use symmetrical encryption. But, although kgpg is installed
already on both distros it will not run, giving some silly error
messages which I have met before. I can't remember how I got it sorted.

Does anyone on the list have any experience with this please. I have
googled and found that a lot of people have the same problem, but have
not yet found a solution. Any help gratefully received.

Neil