Re: [LUG] Legal advice please...

On 11/07/12 19:48, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> Most ISPs have a policy where
> accounts are closed, sites are taken down etc. if it seems that
> something bad is going on - but they probably have some T&Cs that
> cover them in case the decision turns out to have been wrong.

As commented before discontinuing email accounts doesn't address the
motivation to harass. In every case where I've seen email addresses
closed, or blocked, the person has switched to using a new email
address, or different channel, to continue the harassment. Indeed in
some case closing or blocking was counterproductive.

I've seen some very nasty bullying/stalking type behaviour on the
Internet, but it is best left to the professionals. Often the people
involved have personality disorders. The police take these things
seriously now.

Interestingly BT take a similar approach. They'll help you mitigate the
use of phones in the abuse, caller screening, changing number, going
ex-directory etc. But they don't generally take the phone away from the
abuser unless a court tells them to, and I doubt it is for profit
reasons as I suspect handling a couple of calls from the person being
abused wipes out any profit they might make from an abuser.