Re: [LUG] Legal advice please...

On 10/07/2012 23:25, Simon Waters wrote:
On 10/07/12 21:57, Neil Stone wrote:
Anyone on the list hot on the law regarding ISPs and people sending
harassing email etc?
Wrong place to look for solicitors.

Harassing emails would likely fall under Malicious Communications Act 1988.

Have limited experience on receiving threatening emails.

Police spoke the person concerned, and I haven't heard a thing from them
since. It was fairly clearly an attempt at intimidation - but it is hard
to be sure when you don't know much about someone's past.

Not sure the ISP would be involved. Such activity might violate their
terms of service, so there may be a case of asking them to terminate an
account being used for abuse, but my experience is people simply open
other accounts and continue the abuse via them just making them harder
to trace and identify, so go to the source of the problem - the abuser
where possible.

In almost all cases I suspect the first stop is the police, unlike
solicitors they don't charge you in 7 minute chunks, and in many cases
their early involvement jolts the abusing party to realize their
behaviour may have consequences.

Thanks Simon,

One user of my email server is sending harassing emails to another user of my server... It's tempting to tell the offender to cease and decist or risk having their email account killed but I wanted to see if there was a legal president on this that anyone might be aware of. I was using ISP in this particular case to refer to me as I am providing the email service.

--

Neil Stone