Re: [LUG] postscript code generator

On 14/06/12 20:49, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 14/06/12 15:07:35, tom wrote:
On 14/06/12 13:51, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 14/06/12 11:50:26, Admin wrote:
On 14/06/12 11:17, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> What I need is a way to generate customer documents, postscript
would be
> good.
> Does anybody do this or what could I use, still searching myself.

We use an HTML Templating system written in Perl, and html2ps to
produce
Postscript for printing.

Sounds like you've been looking at very very very old HTML stuff.
You can position stuff very easily with stylesheets and and then just print if from the screen.

Not that old, but might be badly written.
Thing is I don't want to use a browser to print the thing, it should just print when it needs to, like real systems do :-)

The other problem with browser stuff is all the headers and footer junk so you can't use the whole page.

Theres no need for footer and header junk. I haven’t done this in a while but I did produce all invoices etc for a company as html pages so they could be checked while developing and once checked they could be printed, and as the customers had access to all their records on line they could either look at them or print them at will. The packing area used the same web approach but we added a javascript routine that cycled through all the packing/tax and import/export licenses etc in an Iframe and printed them. There was a 'batch' routine that used the IE ocx plugin to do all the work for massive print runs. The end result was there was only ever one visual representation of any document type and it was easily checked and debugged and universal - to the customers as well as everyone else who had access to a web browser and the right permissions.
After a little use the only printing was done for packaging and delivery.
Tom te tom te tom