Re: [LUG] Small Distro

Just replying here again... Now feeling a bit miffed by peopel thinking that a 2GHz Celeron or 2.2GHz AMD are old machines... )-:

I've just bought a new desktop and while cost was a factor, it has a 3-core AMD processor which runs at (max) 2.1GHz.

It's running Debian with xfce4 and it's very fast indeed - even though its only running on the framebuffer and not any clever driver for the on-board GPU (bit short sighted of me there - it will run the proprietary AMD drivers but not the open source one - yet) I imagine that when I can be boterhed to install the proper drivers for the GPU then it's going to be even faster...

Memory does make a difference though - it has 4GB.

I've no idea how it would run with a fully-loaded ubuntu or something with the latest gnome/kde though, but I don't think it would be that sluggish. Most of the time the CPUs sit at 800MHz....

Gordon