Re: [LUG] Small Distro

On Monday 28 May 2012 08:32:42 Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Some JMRI users are reporting problems with the latest Ubuntu release.
> (lock directories).  To test this I have to do a fresh install.  However as
> many Model Railroad computers are old door stops, and Ubuntu appears to be
> getting "larger" perhaps I should start with a smaller distro.
>
> Any recommendations?  (Raspberry Pi uses (I think) Debian, is the current
> release of Debian a better bet.  (I know it works as one of my computers
> runs JMRI on it, but a very old release)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Peter L-J
I have just installed Mageia 2 on my old 32bit 2.2ghz AMD athon with 1.5gb
ram, its got 1tb of ide software raid and is running kde very well, I,m going
to set it up as a central file server and back up box for 8+ pc's, and will
change the desktop to lxde later to save a few cpu cycles and memeory.
--
Registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions and
he was going to blow them up !