[LUG] Small Distro

Hi

Some JMRI users are reporting problems with the latest Ubuntu release.  (lock directories).  To test this I have to do a fresh install.  However as many Model Railroad computers are old door stops, and Ubuntu appears to be getting "larger" perhaps I should start with a smaller distro.

Any recommendations?  (Raspberry Pi uses (I think) Debian, is the current release of Debian a better bet.  (I know it works as one of my computers runs JMRI on it, but a very old release)?

Thanks in advance

Peter L-J