Re: [LUG] Small Distro

On 29/05/12 11:38, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Just replying here again... Now feeling a bit miffed by peopel thinking that a 2GHz Celeron or 2.2GHz AMD are old machines... )-:

I've just bought a new desktop and while cost was a factor, it has a 3-core AMD processor which runs at (max) 2.1GHz.

It's running Debian with xfce4 and it's very fast indeed - even though its only running on the framebuffer and not any clever driver for the on-board GPU (bit short sighted of me there - it will run the proprietary AMD drivers but not the open source one - yet) I imagine that when I can be boterhed to install the proper drivers for the GPU then it's going to be even faster...

Memory does make a difference though - it has 4GB.

I've no idea how it would run with a fully-loaded ubuntu or something with the latest gnome/kde though, but I don't think it would be that sluggish. Most of the time the CPUs sit at 800MHz....

Gordon

I've used the LXDE edition of Mint successfully on an old P3-700MHz machine with 128MB Ram and it wasn't too bad. Bit slow but useable.

Peter how old is old?

You may also want to look at something like Puppy Linux, it's small and lightweight, not sure what the minimum specs are but googling seems to suggest it'll happily run in 64MB Ram with swap although recommends 128MB so it can run completely from RAM. I believe it's customiseable too. So it would probably run on anything you could probably pick up from Freecycle (say a P2 or P3 with 128MB Ram).

Rob