Re: [LUG] Small Distro

On 29/05/12 11:38, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Just replying here again... Now feeling a bit miffed by peopel thinking
> that a 2GHz Celeron or 2.2GHz AMD are old machines... )-:
>
> I've just bought a new desktop and while cost was a factor, it has a
> 3-core AMD processor which runs at (max) 2.1GHz.
>
> It's running Debian with xfce4 and it's very fast indeed - even though
> its only running on the framebuffer and not any clever driver for the
> on-board GPU (bit short sighted of me there - it will run the
> proprietary AMD drivers but not the open source one - yet) I imagine
> that when I can be boterhed to install the proper drivers for the GPU
> then it's going to be even faster...
>
> Memory does make a difference though - it has 4GB.
>
> I've no idea how it would run with a fully-loaded ubuntu or something
> with the latest gnome/kde though, but I don't think it would be that
> sluggish. Most of the time the CPUs sit at 800MHz....
>
> Gordon

Not all GHz are created equal: a 2.0GHz Celeron is a different beast
from a 2.0GHz i3, for example. The architecture can make a big
difference in what can be achieved with a single clock tick, so a
Celeron might waste a few cycles doing that which can be achieved in a
single cycle on an i3. Cumulatively, these things make a perceptible
difference.

Pierre