Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

Thanks to all for your help. Now I must continue my search for a router
which my Xperia phone likes. My phone does not like my current Netgear
router and goes through a connect/disconnect cycle. I have tested the
phone elsewhere and it is fine. Apparently this is a known problem which
I did not find out until too late. (It will connect for about an hour if
I reset the router and then it fails again.)

I was thinking of ugrading anyway, my router does not have 802.11N and
first came out over 10 years ago. So while I am at it I must make sure
that the Xperia phone is happy with it.

More research, sigh

Neil
I think you mentioned initially that you had a Netgear DG834. These are usually rock solid in my experience.

I'd be inclined to check you have the latest firmware installed before dashing out for a new one.

I've always recommended DG834s but Netgear don't sell them any more. I haven't been impressed with their replacement model (I forget the name - dg6000? - something like that). I expect later models and newer firmware will resolve the issues I've seen with them. I'm stuck as to what to recommend currently - usually, I just wrangle with what the ISPs supply...

Speaking of which, it might be worth getting in touch with your ISP, they might send you a freebie especially if you tell them your current one is broken.

Martin