Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Now I am getting a bit confused, some of the reviews are saying that
> 'this router does not include a modem so you will need to add one'. I
> thought that all routers included a modem automatically. Obviously I am
> getting a bit confused here, and Google has not helped. Can anyone
> explain please?

They are separate things.

A modem converts as digital signal that can be received by computers
to an analogue one that can be sent over a phone line and vice versa.
A router routes digital signals between computer networks.

As your Internet traffic enters your house via a telephone line, you
need a modem to turn it into a digital signal. If you have more than
one device using the Internet connection, or if you want to use wi-fi,
you will need a router to make sure the incoming traffic is sent to
the right device.

Because most people will need both a modem and a router, they are
generally included in the same device. You can buy them separately
though but if you need both, there's probably little point in doing
so. (It's not too difficult to set up a Linux box to do the routing
and it certainly gives you more control over what happens. You'd still
need something to do the wi-fi though.)

Martijn.