Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

On 14/04/12 17:57, Martin Gautier wrote:

> I think you mentioned initially that you had a Netgear DG834. These are
> usually rock solid in my experience.
>
> I'd be inclined to check you have the latest firmware installed before
> dashing out for a new one.

Ironically that is the problem it seems. Lots of people with various
versions of the Xperia range of smartphones are having similar problems.
(But not everyone. My daughter-in-law has an Xperia Arc and has never
had any problems at all.) My research has shown that my router, Netgear
DG834G, does not work with Xperia phones if it is at the latest firmware
version, V5. Earlier versions of the firmware worked. And, of course, I
am right up to date with version 5! And, again of course, there is no
sign of any more versions in the pipeline. And there is no way to revert
to an earlier version, AFAIK.

> I've always recommended DG834s but Netgear don't sell them any more. I
> haven't been impressed with their replacement model (I forget the name -
> dg6000? - something like that). I expect later models and newer firmware
> will resolve the issues I've seen with them. I'm stuck as to what to
> recommend currently - usually, I just wrangle with what the ISPs supply...
>
> Speaking of which, it might be worth getting in touch with your ISP,
> they might send you a freebie especially if you tell them your current
> one is broken.

I have thought of that, but my ISP did not supply me with a router. I
transferred to them from another ISP and I already had everything set
up. So I can't say 'the router you supplied is broken'.

Thanks for the help,

Neil