Re: [LUG] Possible other venue for Paignton LUG meetings

On 09/03/12 20:37, paul sutton wrote:

I have a few old Linux magazines, does it have to be limited to Linux
books perhaps other computer related subjects too.

I'm sure they'd accept all sorts of books, I just asked a while ago if they had any computer books and they had some. Not sure about magazines, guess I could ask when I pop in tomorrow.

I’ve been talking to Bryce who runs the Epicentre on and off now for a
few months, he seems like a nice enough guy and they hold all sorts of
events such as poetry reading/writing, Outset Torbay (small business
startup) sessions and things like that and I gather they are a social
enterprise so they might fit in well with the LUG and Free Software.

I was thinking that maybe if anyone is interested we could meet up
before the LUG meeting at the Epicentre to check it out (I haven’t
actually been over to the place yet but figured that maybe it’s worth
a try for an hour).

Bryce tells me he grew up in Silicon Valley and he knows a good deal
about Free Software already so it sounds promising and he’s happy for
us to hold meetings at the Epicentre.

Anyway, I was hoping to get down there for around 1pm ish, possibly a
little bit later, if anyone would like to join me down there for a
cuppa and a chat before going on to the LUG meeting at the Shoreline
the address is 59 Torquay Toad in Paignton. The postcode for Sat Nav
users is TQ3 3DT. It’s just by the traffic lights on Torquay Road/Hyde
Road (on the one way system) and I believe across the Weatherspoons
Pub so it’s not too far from the car parks in Paignton or the free
parking areas. The web site for the Epicentre can be found here:
http://www.epicentrebookcafe.org.uk/home.htm

Rob

Ok I can't attend either meeting tomorrow (saturday) due to being at the
rugby in Paignton,

Yep I remember you mentioned that, still if anyone else can make it then it would be good to get feedback from others. I'll pop down anyway about 1pm as I've got a child free day tomorrow.

On another note I dropped into eatthatfrog again to day which is just
down the road from Epicentre and had a brief chat with Gail, (whom I
emailed a while back) they would certainly be interested in a talk etc
on Free software / ubuntu etc, I did say I wasn't confident enough to do
this on my own, so if anyone is available to run something one saturday
after May 1st (rugby is over by then) perhaps we can meet up at some
point down there and have a chat, I am sure there are a few Saturdays in
April when there are no games on, so perhaps one of those weekends,

http://www.eatthatfrog.org/

I'll check it out, I'm sure I can spare one Saturday or maybe a Sunday, for me it depends on my childcare arrangements (my youngest is only 5 so she gets bored easily, although she does love Tux Paint).

they also do workshops so if anyone is around during a week day (Monday
or Friday for me, as I am working Wednesday)

For the forseeable future I'm working during the week, although my contract comes to a permanent end in August so unless I find something else or something (got a couple of ideas) then I'll be at a loose end.

Gail has also heard of Ubuntu, which helps.

Yeah, guess so. I'm tending to avoid Ubuntu on the desktop now, but I guess it's a start to introduce folks.

For those of you driving

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/index/yourservices/parking/carparks/carparkcharges/parkforapound.htm

park for a pound offer in March,

Hope this helps

Ahh that is interesting... that'll save me a walk (although I could do with the exercise :-D).

Rob