Re: [LUG] Possible other venue for Paignton LUG meetings

On 09/03/12 16:30, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

I’ve possibly found an alternative venue for LUG meetings in Paignton, one which may well be useful as the weather improves and the Shoreline gets busier especially in the summer.

Sounds good

Drinks prices seem to be about the same sort of price as the Shoreline (Tea £1, Coffee & Hot Chocolate around £2), cold drinks from 50p upwards. Food prices are a little cheaper than the Shoreline. The food is all vegetarian but looks like a reasonable selection and they also have sweets and cakes available for those who have a sweet tooth.

Other than the food and drinks, they have free wifi and a selection of books to browse and buy (I gather from speaking to Bryce who runs the Epicentre they also have some computer books, maybe it could be a good way of introducing some Linux books if anyone has any surplus to requirements).

I have a few old Linux magazines,   does it have to be limited to Linux books perhaps other computer related subjects too.

I’ve been talking to Bryce who runs the Epicentre on and off now for a few months, he seems like a nice enough guy and they hold all sorts of events such as poetry reading/writing, Outset Torbay (small business startup) sessions and things like that and I gather they are a social enterprise so they might fit in well with the LUG and Free Software.

I was thinking that maybe if anyone is interested we could meet up before the LUG meeting at the Epicentre to check it out (I haven’t actually been over to the place yet but figured that maybe it’s worth a try for an hour).

Bryce tells me he grew up in Silicon Valley and he knows a good deal about Free Software already so it sounds promising and he’s happy for us to hold meetings at the Epicentre.

Anyway, I was hoping to get down there for around 1pm ish, possibly a little bit later, if anyone would like to join me down there for a cuppa and a chat before going on to the LUG meeting at the Shoreline the address is 59 Torquay Toad in Paignton. The postcode for Sat Nav users is TQ3 3DT. It’s just by the traffic lights on Torquay Road/Hyde Road (on the one way system) and I believe across the Weatherspoons Pub so it’s not too far from the car parks in Paignton or the free parking areas. The web site for the Epicentre can be found here: http://www.epicentrebookcafe.org.uk/home.htm

Rob

Ok I can't attend either meeting tomorrow (saturday) due to being at the rugby in Paignton,

On another note I dropped into eatthatfrog again to day which is just down the road from Epicentre and had a brief chat with Gail,  (whom I emailed a while back) they would certainly be interested in a talk etc on Free software / ubuntu etc,  I did say I wasn't confident enough to do this on my own,  so if anyone is available to run something one saturday after May 1st (rugby is over by then)  perhaps we can meet up at some point down there and have a chat,  I am sure there are a few Saturdays in April when there are no games on,  so perhaps one of those weekends,

http://www.eatthatfrog.org/

they also do workshops so if anyone is around during a week day (Monday or Friday for me, as I am working Wednesday)

Gail has also heard of Ubuntu, which helps.

For those of you driving

http://www.torbay.gov.uk/index/yourservices/parking/carparks/carparkcharges/parkforapound.htm

park for a pound offer in March,

Hope this helps