Re: [LUG] mailman

On 26/02/2012 09:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, paul sutton wrote:

>>> I run mailing lists for young people. This is the first I've heard of
>>> the youth service insisting on that -
>>
>> I am not suggesting they will.,  but I doubt they will want a mailing
>> list open to anybody so a closed list should offer some sort of safety,
>> now given we are talking about a techy programming group,
>>
>> the idea of having a list is to reach out to people in Torbay that live
>> in parts of the bay where its going to be hard to get to where I am
>> running the group,  to me why should it be limited to a few who can get
>> somewhere,  where a list makes the group ACCESSIBLE to more people.
>> Plus of course in my experience of lists I can post source code and
>> people can get back to me very quickly on problems,  (did this with some
>> LaTeX on the lyx group ages ago,  great fixed in a few hours,  2nd pair
>> of eyes over some code really helps.
>>
>> But its probably good practice to have a closed list,
>>
>> I bet if i asked if you could host this,  they would insist on crb
>> checking you even though you are not going to even subscribe,  or be
>> part of the list or group.
>
> Hm. doubt it. It's just a mailing list. However, I do hold a ECRB check
> anyway, (in the position of a voluntary youth worker for DCC) but I
> thought those procedures were changing anyway. When I've done stuff for
> DCC, they've never asked... (Although at the time my wife did work for
> the DCC youth service...)
>
> And I thought Torbay didn't have a youth service anymore....
>
>>> however they are closed lists in that the people who can subscribe are
>>> well-known to the people I'm running them for.
>>>
>>> ...then again, what's left of the youth service probably doesn't have
>>> much of a clue...
>>
>> Well they seem to like the idea of a coding / programming group,  the
>> are less sure about me calling it a hacking group (taking the original
>> sense) as that would nicely cover hardware and software hacking.  but
>> hey,  one step at a time.
>
> Indeed!
>
>>> But I think mailman can do what you need.
>>>
>> cool,  its worth suggesting anyway. :)
>>
>> I am fine as longas they don't suggest using facebook,  not logged in to
>> it properly for over a week, and have already started to wonder what
>> people see in it,
>
> I deleted my FB account some months back...
>
> Gordon

Some legal lists I use need active intervention to approve an email/user.
i.e.  site available, apply,  then email sent to applicant requesting
data that can be checked, after reply if moderator approved, added to
upload/download capability. without moderator only limited to reading,
'front page'

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald