Re: [LUG] mailman

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, paul sutton wrote:

On 25/02/12 21:45, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, paul sutton wrote:

Can mailman list server software be set up so admins can control who
subscribes,  as in if I set a discussion list up for this computer group
I am setting, I can add peoples e-mail address and they HAVE to apply
for membership (as in see a youth worker and submit a valid e-mail)

I think if they agree to a discussion list it would have to be done this
way for safeguarding purposes (this is youth service that will demand
this not me)

I run mailing lists for young people. This is the first I've heard of
the youth service insisting on that -

I am not suggesting they will.,  but I doubt they will want a mailing
list open to anybody so a closed list should offer some sort of safety,
now given we are talking about a techy programming group,

the idea of having a list is to reach out to people in Torbay that live
in parts of the bay where its going to be hard to get to where I am
running the group,  to me why should it be limited to a few who can get
somewhere,  where a list makes the group ACCESSIBLE to more people.
Plus of course in my experience of lists I can post source code and
people can get back to me very quickly on problems,  (did this with some
LaTeX on the lyx group ages ago,  great fixed in a few hours,  2nd pair
of eyes over some code really helps.

But its probably good practice to have a closed list,

I bet if i asked if you could host this,  they would insist on crb
checking you even though you are not going to even subscribe,  or be
part of the list or group.

Hm. doubt it. It's just a mailing list. However, I do hold a ECRB check anyway, (in the position of a voluntary youth worker for DCC) but I thought those procedures were changing anyway. When I've done stuff for DCC, they've never asked... (Although at the time my wife did work for the DCC youth service...)

And I thought Torbay didn't have a youth service anymore....

however they are closed lists in that the people who can subscribe are
well-known to the people I'm running them for.

...then again, what's left of the youth service probably doesn't have
much of a clue...

Well they seem to like the idea of a coding / programming group,  the
are less sure about me calling it a hacking group (taking the original
sense) as that would nicely cover hardware and software hacking.  but
hey,  one step at a time.

Indeed!

But I think mailman can do what you need.

cool,  its worth suggesting anyway. :)

I am fine as longas they don't suggest using facebook,  not logged in to
it properly for over a week, and have already started to wonder what
people see in it,

I deleted my FB account some months back...

Gordon