Re: [LUG] mailman

On 25/02/12 21:45, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, paul sutton wrote:
>
>> Can mailman list server software be set up so admins can control who
>> subscribes,  as in if I set a discussion list up for this computer group
>> I am setting, I can add peoples e-mail address and they HAVE to apply
>> for membership (as in see a youth worker and submit a valid e-mail)
>>
>> I think if they agree to a discussion list it would have to be done this
>> way for safeguarding purposes (this is youth service that will demand
>> this not me)
>
> I run mailing lists for young people. This is the first I've heard of
> the youth service insisting on that -

I am not suggesting they will.,  but I doubt they will want a mailing
list open to anybody so a closed list should offer some sort of safety,
now given we are talking about a techy programming group,

the idea of having a list is to reach out to people in Torbay that live
in parts of the bay where its going to be hard to get to where I am
running the group,  to me why should it be limited to a few who can get
somewhere,  where a list makes the group ACCESSIBLE to more people.
Plus of course in my experience of lists I can post source code and
people can get back to me very quickly on problems,  (did this with some
LaTeX on the lyx group ages ago,  great fixed in a few hours,  2nd pair
of eyes over some code really helps.

But its probably good practice to have a closed list,

I bet if i asked if you could host this,  they would insist on crb
checking you even though you are not going to even subscribe,  or be
part of the list or group.

> however they are closed lists in that the people who can subscribe are
> well-known to the people I'm running them for.
>
> ...then again, what's left of the youth service probably doesn't have
> much of a clue...

Well they seem to like the idea of a coding / programming group,  the
are less sure about me calling it a hacking group (taking the original
sense) as that would nicely cover hardware and software hacking.  but
hey,  one step at a time.

> But I think mailman can do what you need.

cool,  its worth suggesting anyway. :)

I am fine as longas they don't suggest using facebook,  not logged in to
it properly for over a week, and have already started to wonder what
people see in it,

> Gordon

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com