Re: [LUG] Telephone call re my computer

Funny that's they only seem to target older customers of mine in Totnes.

It would appear they start the conversation along the lines of:

"Hi I'm calling from PC Support, on behalf of Microsoft." They are
Microsoft Certified Partners, and it's taken over a year for Microsoft
to start revoking their MCP certs.

Now as these customers of mine are all BT customers, they assume
they've mis-heard it and think it's BT support.
Then they do the look at the events logs 1-2-3. "Oh my, look at the errors."
They then remote in and install Malware Bytes Free Edition etc...
£85 gets debited from their card - then I get a call.
I then get the £85 back for them via their card company.

Without exception there is the following pattern :

1 A BT Broadband connection or has been in some way with the number
2. It's targetted by age of customer (over 70+) OR prior customer of that line
3. If you are not over 70, the previous person who had that number
appears to have been an elderly person (the ex-directory mysteries
also explained here)

Anybody else here seeing a pattern here?

Cheers Mark
--
TotnesIT.com