Re: [LUG] Telephone call re my computer

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mark Cross wrote:
> 1 A BT Broadband connection or has been in some way with the number
> 2. It's targetted by age of customer (over 70+) OR prior customer of that line
> 3. If you are not over 70, the previous person who had that number
> appears to have been an elderly person (the ex-directory mysteries
> also explained here)

I am neither over 70, nor a BT broadband customer. I'm not sure about
previous owners of this line, but they tend to ask for Mr Grooten, so
they must really mean me.

They did at least once claim they came from BT. Like Microsoft, it's a
fairly safe bet, seeing as BT owns the phone lines and if you're not
too tech-savvy, "BT has reported spam being sent from your computer"
does sound rather convincing.

Obviously, those most likely to fall victim to a scam like this are
the less computer literate, which includes many older people, but I've
got evidence of younger people who've fallen victim to the scam as
well.

Also, I have been called by scammers who didn't pretend to be either
BT or Microsoft, but called on behalf of their own "company".

Martijn.