[LUG] rsync and removable disks

I'm sure this is a RTFM thing but I haven’t spotted it yet...
I have a machine which will provide a central point for backups into a directory tree - one other machine will be rsync'ing with it and others just exchanging files via shares. I want to be able to just plug in a USB drive on the central machine recognise it and have it updated from its central rsync with minimum user effort - given that automounting usb drives when multiple users use a machine is a pain!
Anyone got an idiots guide for this?
Tom te tom te tom