Re: [LUG] IPv6, ADSL and FTTC

On 19/01/12 09:47, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I fear they're being let-down by their support side while sales
> and marketing are running out of control. Just my theory...

The support I've had from Entanet has been excellent, but my router
doesn't do IPv6 so I haven't dabbled.

Maybe the issue is the support people need to learn IPv6 skills, I know
mine are pretty much absent at this point, which is dire. I started on a
training programme, but given there is going to be no desire to run
servers on IPv6 for the foreseeable what is my motivation? This is the
primary problem with IPv6, NANOG folks were speculating on "free porn"
on IPv6 to motivate people but I think they have discovered there is a
lot of "free porn" to be had without mastering 128bit addressing.

Basically it doubles my network complexity, my DNS complexity goes up,
and the main benefit is less than 6% of users might get a small increase
in performance (with more routing issues). Migration planning was always
the weak point with IPv6. The main plus is some GNU/Linux stuff
complains a bit till you disable IPv6, which is far easier than making
it work alas.