Re: [LUG] Upgrading - or not ... (Debian)

On 05/01/12 19:59, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Thanks chaps.
>
> Ok. Debian stable has clementine 5.3 and libgpod4 is already there
> (for Banshee, presumably), so ...
>
> The iPod is an old 8GB nano which did mostly work with banshee, but I
> think it was banshee that was letting it down more than anything else,
> and anyway, it will be replaced soon as soon with a non-apple mo3
> player as we're done wnough due diligence to work out which is the
> right one...
>
> But... I just wish there wasn't this push to make everything do
> everything... She has no need for a "player" application that also
> sings, dances, talks to ipods, etc... What ever happened to the unix
> principle - do one thing and do it well...
>
> Needed: A program to keep track of podcasts from the BBC and
> elsewhere, and download them as required.
>
> A program that syncs the local images with mp3 player. (bonus if it
> undestands apples whacky filesystem/database)
>
> How hard can it be...
>
> Will let you know how we get on...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

It's 2012 my friend - all the small single use Unix tools are still
there under the hood, modern frontends are just wrappers for them! You'd
be pretty pissed if managing your music directory involved filtering the
contents into a SQL database and then piping select queries into
filesystem calls everytime you wanted to sync a playlist...

get_iplayer will handle all your BBC needs, it's like a scriptable PVR
(and you can control file output with "modes=flashvhigh,flashstd" etc:
optionally use ffmpeg to further encode and cron to schedule) for
looting the BBC back catalogue.

Simon's right about rsync although that's kind of obvious: as long as
the correct libraries are installed to handle mounting Apple's "whacky"
crap any normal tool will work transparently over the top of it. If you
don't want to do a relatively simple sync between files and iPod though
it's not exactly the best tool for the job.

A further heads-up: unusually for me I hadn't noticed that clementine
has massively updated and is now at stable version 1.0, but it doesn't
seem to have filtered down to any distro's package management system yet
so get it directly from http://www.clementine-player.org/downloads.
There are builds for windows, mac, debian/ubuntu and fedora + source for
unfortunates like me with ultra-conservative enterprise distros.

Even though you're on Debian you could probably just safely use the PPA
- not normally recommended I know, but it's only a small single purpose
PPA so you should get away with it (I've just tried this on Debian
Squeeze and it worked fine).

Cheers,

Mat