[LUG] Upgrading - or not ... (Debian)

So my wife is becoming increasingly frustrated by the day that Banshee is basically a stinking PoS when trying to sync up her iPod. (Genuine Apple iPod) This is the one thing that will make her go out & buy a Win7 license!!!

She is looking for a new mp3 player which might help, however I fear the issue is with the version of Banshee shipped with Debian stable (squeeze). It's quite old and there are several newer versions...

So I'm wondering what the options are for upgrading just Banshee - It looks like a fairly huge package with many dependencies, so I don't fancy compiling from scratch and there aren't any newer .deb's that I can find (I've tried googling for backports but not finding any)

Upgrading Debian (to Sid which has Banshee 2.2) might not be an option either as moving from Gnome isn't an option (although I daresay new Debians will still support it anyway)

So - anyone want to give me any options?

Even if there's a better application to manage podcasts and music on an iPod - it doesn't have to (and don't want to) actually play music or videos, just get them to/from the disk/net & iPod...

Cheers,

Gordon