Re: [LUG] Upgrading - or not ... (Debian)

On 05/01/12 18:54, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> So my wife is becoming increasingly frustrated by the day that Banshee
> is basically a stinking PoS when trying to sync up her iPod. (Genuine
> Apple iPod) This is the one thing that will make her go out & buy a
> Win7 license!!!
>
> She is looking for a new mp3 player which might help, however I fear
> the issue is with the version of Banshee shipped with Debian stable
> (squeeze). It's quite old and there are several newer versions...
>
> So I'm wondering what the options are for upgrading just Banshee - It
> looks like a fairly huge package with many dependencies, so I don't
> fancy compiling from scratch and there aren't any newer .deb's that I
> can find (I've tried googling for backports but not finding any)
>
> Upgrading Debian (to Sid which has Banshee 2.2) might not be an option
> either as moving from Gnome isn't an option (although I daresay new
> Debians will still support it anyway)
>
> So - anyone want to give me any options?
>
> Even if there's a better application to manage podcasts and music on
> an iPod - it doesn't have to (and don't want to) actually play music
> or videos, just get them to/from the disk/net & iPod...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordon

Easiest question ever: sudo apt-get install clementine

Banshee sucks, as does rhythmbox. Added bonus: clementine is QT based
and you can get a windows port (I'm not sure about Mac OS) so once
you're used to it, you can install it on everything and not have to
relearn a new media player for every platform. Actually, hang on a sec -
I've got some iPods, let me plug one in to this linux box and just make
sure clementine does work as advertised with them, I don't think I've
ever tried before (don't really use my iPods anymore, I tend to read
when travelling).

Mat