Re: [LUG] Upgrading - or not ... (Debian)

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, bad apple wrote:

Clementine 7.1 works fine with full iPod support on Ubuntu 11.10.
Clementine 5.3 has issues with iPod support on Debian Squeeze.
Clementine (git latest) without iPod support (duh) doesn't work on
CentOS 6.2, recompiling in a sec.

Long story short, install Clementine anyway as it's the best current
music player for Linux (VLC, XMMS and mpg123 don't count). Installed
with libgpod* there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you and you
can always apt purge it afterwards. The fact I'm testing on VM's with
USB passthrough doesn't help me test Debian much and I can't reboot out
of CentOS because I'm in the middle of a million things.

Incidentally, the iPod I tested with is a Nano 8Gb model which is the
nasty one with the locked bootloader. If it works with that, it should
work with any model.

And as Grant said, you don't need to upgrade your entire Debian OS just
to grab some packages from testing/unstable/experimental.

Thanks chaps.

Ok. Debian stable has clementine 5.3 and libgpod4 is already there (for Banshee, presumably), so ...

The iPod is an old 8GB nano which did mostly work with banshee, but I think it was banshee that was letting it down more than anything else, and anyway, it will be replaced soon as soon with a non-apple mo3 player as we're done wnough due diligence to work out which is the right one...

But... I just wish there wasn't this push to make everything do everything... She has no need for a "player" application that also sings, dances, talks to ipods, etc... What ever happened to the unix principle - do one thing and do it well...

Needed: A program to keep track of podcasts from the BBC and elsewhere, and download them as required.

A program that syncs the local images with mp3 player. (bonus if it undestands apples whacky filesystem/database)

How hard can it be...

Will let you know how we get on...

Cheers,

Gordon