Re: [LUG] Looking for a new printer

On 10/12/2011 09:05, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> bad apple wro
>>
>> Definitely just get a HP - they've screwed up WebOS, HPUX, OpenVMS and
>> just about everything else they've ever owned but they can still do one
>> thing properly: make printers. All-in-one models are so cheap these days
>> they practically fall out of your cereal box in the morning but as
>> another poster pointed out, try and get one with multiple colour
>> cartridges because the consumables are ruinously expensive. Also, being
>> HP, the printer will lie to you about it's ink levels.
>>
>> If you do get a wifi one (they're pretty much all wifi enabled now) make
>> sure you lock it down - on pen tests I routinely see these things
>> connected and wide-open on default settings. Once you've cracked the
>> WEP/WPA layer it's fun to send "all your networks are belong to us"
>> print jobs in 60 point font just to rub it in...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mat
>>
> Thanks once again, you must be one of the most helpful people on the list.
>
> I will concentrate on HP then. I note what you say about locking it
> down. My router (wifi) has WPA2 set up anyway.
>
> As I have said my router does not have a USB port. However I have
> noticed mention of some printers being able to link to one of the
> ethernet ports on the router. Is that a good idea, or am I not
> understanding what I read?
>
> Regards
>
> Neil

I have used OKI printers for years, as they have proved very reliable as
Black & White printers.
Some come as USB only, some as USB and Ethernet, some as USB parallel
and Ethernet. I use the wireless set up on my BT router to connect some
laptops to network and they see printer connected to hub by Ethernet.
Current one works on USB to Linux OpenSUSE computer age circa 2000,
Ethernet to Windows 7 laptop, wireless to Win Visa laptop (two rooms
away) and usb to visiting windows XP laptops.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald