Re: [LUG] Speaking of VirtualBox ...

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, Anthony Williams wrote:

On 27/11/11 18:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011, bad apple wrote:

From what I recall, that wasn't the problem - the issue I had was
starting Win2K on what's effectively different underlying hardware -as
if I'd taken my disk out of the Dell and put it in an HP box (for
exmaple) I have the original Win2K disk but it didn't help me then as it
couldn't see the CD rom drive... I was just wondering if anything had
improved at the hardware emulation stage to make this sort of migration
easier... Cheers, Gordon

I had to import a Windows XP disk into a VM a couple of years ago. I wrote up my experience on my blog:

http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk/general/importing-windows-into-virtualbox.html

I suspect that importing Windows 2000 will be similar. Possibly easier, since Windows 2000 didn't have the same activation system as Windows XP.

Intersting, thanks.

I think the way forward for me would be to use sysPrep - however that would almost be a one-way journey as I've no guarantees that I can re-prep that install on the original hardware - which I'll need to do if I can subsequently get VirtualBox running with the sysPrepp'd image...

But I'll give it another go in a few days time - when I have more time. The Win2K box runs my accounting software and I guess it's another 2.5 months until my next VAT return is due, so I have some time to fix it if I break it :)

Gordon