Re: [LUG] Speaking of VirtualBox ...

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011, bad apple wrote:

From what I recall, that wasn't the problem - the issue I had was
starting Win2K on what's effectively different underlying hardware -as
if I'd taken my disk out of the Dell and put it in an HP box (for
exmaple) I have the original Win2K disk but it didn't help me then as it
couldn't see the CD rom drive... I was just wondering if anything had
improved at the hardware emulation stage to make this sort of migration
easier... Cheers, Gordon
That, I'm afraid, I don't know.

However, if you still have the Dell box to hand, you could try booting
it up and then running the "SysPrep" tool.  Once it's done, shut down,
remove harddrive, take image, add into VM and away you go.  When it
boots up in the VM it will go looking for new hardware, find it and ask
for drivers (if necessary).  Note though, after SysPrepping it you
shouldn't boot it on the old hardware again or you'll have to
re-SysPrep it.

Grant.

This is correct, sysprep is one way to handle windows P2V migration.
However, a much easier and cheatier way is to simply download the VMware
Converter from here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/    (warning, free registration
required, definitely not open-source software)

Install and run on your physical target - windows 2000 is supported, as
long as it's SP4

It won't install...

  Requires Windows XP or newer...

Back to the drawing board!