Re: [LUG] Speaking of VirtualBox ...

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:43:59 +0000 (GMT)
Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I have an old Win2K box (yes, really, with a genuine Win2K sticker on
> the side!) which I'd like to virtualise (and get rid of the physical
> PC). It runs an older copy of Quickbooks for doing some of my
> accounts with.
>
> I did try once upon a time, but got stuck with Win2K's devices, etc.
> it just wouldn't boot, or would crash during booting whinging about
> lack of disk drive or something.
>
> The original box is an older Dell 800MHz PIII which runs W2K
> adequately - off an 8GB disk. When I tried last time I just took a
> binary image of the disk and fed that into VirtualBox - without
> spending too much more time on it.
>
> What's my chances of it working now? (or getting it to work at all?)
>
> Gordon

As I understand it, Virtualbox will play OK with raw images of disks
(or even with partitions, if you edit the appropriate file and point it
in the right direction), but one of the vboxmanage commands should
allow you to convert your dd'd disk image into a VirtualBox disk.

If you were thinking of giving it a larger virtual disk, then I
think you're into the territory of creating a separate virtual disk and
booting the VM into something that will allow you to move the data
across (bear in mind that, IIRC, NTFS can be a bit picky at times when
doing this) and then changing the VM to boot from the 'new', larger
disk.

Grant.