Re: [LUG] General consensus: AMD64 or I386 install of Debian Testing?

Only ever installed distros from scratch three times. Once with
Mandrake, which I then upgraded with subsequent releases to Mandriva. At
that point, there was massive failure, so I installed Debian and worked
with that for a few years, until the hardware got left behind and the
system ran too slow. Then bought current hardware and installed Debian
testing 64 bit. The point being that I never witnessed a keyboard become
unrecognised in my, admittedly limited, experience. As you said; Crazy. :-/

It's certainly not common, but I have seen it before during version
upgrades. When you're doing a full dist-upgrade, yum upgrade or any
really significant system update it's a very good idea to kill all
unnecessary services and most definitely X, temporarily set default
runlevel to 3 in /etc/inittab (service SIGHUPs during the update may
restart your GUI otherwise) and start a fresh virtual console with
screen. SSH in from another machine and do screen -X to start sharing
mode: if you lose one input, you can usually keep going on the other.
This has saved my ass several times. If you're really worried about it
(as you can probably tell, I do a lot of seriously unpredictable and
risky massive system updates) also nohup it, or use the disown shell
internal so the job will complete no matter if you lose all connections.
Don't forget to redirect all standard output and errors to a log file
too so in case of total failure, at least you can find out what happened
and how much finished with more to rely on than just the regular logs.

Normally of course you don't need this kind of overkill, but you should
always do version-version upgrades from init 3 with screen shared over
SSH, just in case.

Mat