[LUG] General consensus: AMD64 or I386 install of Debian Testing?

Hi all,

Just performing an "upgrade" of my Ubuntu laptop - going from a
heavily modified 10.04.2 to a stock 10.10, and if that works then up
to a stock 11.04 and then 11.10.  By the sheer number of errors I'm
getting, I'm not expecting the 10.04.2 -> 10.10 step to work smoothly,
so I'm downloading Debian Testing netinst images to burn.  Now, the
laptop in question is a dual-core AMD64, however I've never actually
run any 64bit OSes on it - I guess I was put off by the "problems"
faced early on.  Many years have passed since then, but have things
got any better?

So, I ask you, fellow LUGgers: is it worth installing AMD64 Debian on
an AMD64 machine, or should I stick with i386 Debian?

Answers on a postcard, or failing that here will be sufficient. :D

Cheers.
Grant.