Re: [LUG] General consensus: AMD64 or I386 install of Debian Testing?

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:41:54 +0000
Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Grant,

> So, I ask you, fellow LUGgers: is it worth installing AMD64 Debian on
> an AMD64 machine, or should I stick with i386 Debian?

I use 64 Debian testing without issues on a dual core AMD desktop
machine.  There's very little to worry about.  Nearly everything is
available in 64bit versions, with the exception of the Adobe acroread
plugin for web browsers.  With ndiswrapper though, even that works
nicely.  Not an issue if you don't care to use the plugin.

You would of course, be well advised to do a fresh install, rather than
try and cross-grade from Ubuntu.  However, since you talked of d/l'ing
the net install disk, I suspect that's what you plan anyway.

--
 Regards  _
You said you ain't had none for weeks, but baby I seen your arms